Recipe by Lorac
A recipe from Govenor Lincoln Almond. "With all the fine food Rhode Island has to offer, deciding on my favorite recipe was no easy task. After some serious thought and careful deliberation, I have decided on Rhode Island White Clam Chowder. I hope you enjoy this very special Rhode Island delicacy." Posted by request.
Top Review by HotPepperRosemaryJelly
I have to agree with the last reviewer. Clams are not quahogs. One has a soft shell while the other has a hard shell. Different flavor and meat. Take it from me...14th generation Rhode Islander. Rhode Island Quahog Chowder has a clear broth. This is a very nice clam chowder recipe though! I will try it with clams! Jelly :)
- 1⁄2 cup diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 ounces ri quahogs, chopped (liquid reserved)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup clam juice
- 1 cup peeled and coarsely chopped potato
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 dash thyme
- 1 dash salt
- 1 dash white pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a 3-quart saucepan, saute onion and celery in 2 tbls butter until transparent.
- Add liquid from clams, clam juice, chicken broth and potatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender.
- Melt butter in a saucepan, stir in flour and cook on low heat 1 minute, add milk and cream and cook on medium high until bubbly and thickened.
- Add cream sauce and clams to the potato mixture, bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- Add thyme, salt and pepper and serve.