Recipe by WI Cheesehead
Good German recipe! If you don't like sauerkraut, try this. It has lots of bacon and sugar. My DH loves this dish. (He's not German :) My ancestry is 100% German.
Top Review by Viclynn
My son and I really enjoyed this side dish. He lived in Germany for a few months while in school, and always talked about his host family's cooking. "Oma" would prepare a similar dish. We included this with schnitzel, spaetzle, and black forest cake for our annual German dinner. Thanks for helping us bring back great memories for my son.
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- 2⁄3 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups cabbage, shredded
- 1 (15 ounce) can French style green beans, drained
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon until crisp in a large fry pan or electric skillet and remove bacon.
- Leave drippings in pan and add vinegar, sugar, salt, pepper, onions, and cabbage; simmer covered 15 minutes.
- Crumble bacon and add to cabbage, along with beans, and mix well.
- Heat through before serving.