Recipe by tigerduck
This delicious cake recipe appeared in the most famous Swiss cooking magazine (Betty Bossy Zeitung) in 1988. It has recently also appeared in a special edition cook book on dishes that made history. I've known this cake for many years already and the recipe must be used in many Swiss households, as otherwise it wouldn't appear in the cookbook mentioned. Rhubarb is very popular here and nearly everybody who owns a house grows rhubarb in the garden. There are many rhubarb recipes, but this one is special because the sour rhubarb in the dough is combined with the sweet chocolate glaze. A marriage made in heaven!
Top Review by twissis
Had dinner w/friends tonite, took your cake for dessert & was a huge hit! Even after a hearty meal & generous servings of cake, 3 of the guys had 2nd's. I made it in a 10-in rd deep pyrex baking dish & it was done 10 min ahead of sched in my convection oven. I did opt out of the glaze, dusted the turned out cake w/powd sugar & added choc shavings. A lovely, dense & moist cake, duck. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
- 500 g rhubarb (1 lb)
- 100 g margarine, soft (3 1/2 ounces)
- 3 eggs
- 1 pinch salt
- 200 g sugar (7 1/8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla sugar or 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 200 g flour (7 1/8 ounces)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 150 g semisweet chocolate (5 1/4 ounces)
- 150 ml single cream
Directions See How It's Made
- I use a petal-shaped tin with a loose bottom for this cake, but it will work equally well in a round 24cm springform or a round tin with a loose bottom. Line the base of your tin and grease the frame.
- Preheat oven 180°C / 355°F.
- Peel the rhubarbs, halve the sticks if thick and cube.
- Mix margarine, eggs, salt, vanilla sugar or vanilla essence until very creamy.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour and baking powder.
- Add flour mixture to the creamy one until just combined. Don't use a machine for this.
- Add rhubarb.
- Put dough into prepared tin and bake on the lowest shelf for 60 minutes or until done.
- Let cool in the tin. When cool turn cake out.
- Melt chocolate and cream on low heat. Pour glaze over cake and move the cake, so that the glaze covers the whole cake.
- You may want to decorate the cake with edible silver pearls.