1/1 Photo of Rezika's Chicken & Vegetable Curry
2 hrs 10 mins
Um Safia's Note:
This is my family's all time favourite curry. Originally this was an Afghani chicken curry - I ended up reducing the amount of chicken & adding chickpeas, potatoes & peas to. If you want to add more veggies, please feel free to do so. Frozen okra also works well in this dish, as does fresh spinach added at the very last minute. My kids, aged 7 & 2, enjoy eating this curry as it is not too spicy, just full of flavour. If you want a hotter curry, add a chilli to the cooking pot! This curry tastes just like the Chicken Bhuna (with added veg!) from our local Indian restaurant.....we now save ourselves a fortune ;)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 large brown onions, peeled & finely sliced
- 1 head garlic, peeled
- 6 pieces chicken (thighs, drumsticks, breast etc)
- 2 large potatoes, peeled
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 3 inches piece fresh gingerroot, peeled
- 800 g tinned plum tomatoes (2 x 400g tins)
- 400 g canned chick-peas
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 3 -4 teaspoons mild Madras curry powder
- 6 -7 cups water
- salt and black pepper
- 1 bunch fresh coriander
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1Put the olive oil in a large, heavy bottomed pan, add the onions & cook on a medium heat until they are golden & translucent.
- 2Add the turmeric & curry powder to the pan, followed by the chicken pieces - cook until the chicken is sealed on all sides.
- 3In a food processor, make a paste from the ginger & garlic. Once you have made a smooth paste, add it to the pan & mix well. Cook for 2 minutes.
- 4Liquidize the tinned tomatoes & add them to the pan along with the water. Cover & simmer on a medium heat for 90 minutes - check & stir from time to time - add any extra water if you think it needs it. Add the salt & black pepper.
- 5After 90 minutes, rinse & drain the chickpeas & add them to the pan. Chop the potatoes into cubes approximately 1cm x1cm & add them to the pan.
- 6Cover & simmer again for 20 minutes.
- 7Take your bunch of coriander. Remove 6 large leaves & set aside for your garnish. Roughly chop the remainder.
- 8After 20 minutes cooking, add the frozen peas & 2 tbsp chopped coriander. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 9At this point, the veggies & the chickpeas should be tender. If you would like a thicker sauce, turn up the heat & reduce the sauce - stirring to avoid the curry catching on the bottom of the pan. If you would like more sauce, just add a little stock & a touch more seasoning & curry powder.
- 10If you've used bone-in chicken pieces, you may wish to remove the bones now.
- 11Check the seasoning, adjust if necessary, just before serving add the remainder of the coriander & mix well.
- 12You can also add a teaspoon of freshly ground garam masala at this point if you wish - I generally don't bother though --
- 13My family loves to eat this curry with either basmati rice or freshly made naan & pitta breads, pakoras & poppadoms. I also serve a light cucumber raita & a mixed green salad.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rezika's Chicken & Vegetable Curry
Serving Size: 1 (799 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.7
- Calories from Fat 54
- Total Fat 6.0 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 250.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 9.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: