1/5 Photos of Rezika's Cheese & Potato Bourek (Algerian Spring Rolls)
Um Safia's Note:
Here is the second of my Algerian bourek recipes. I have also posted a Chicken & Preserved Lemon Bourek recipe. This cheese & potato bourek is another of my family favourites & there never seem to be enough! You can use phyllo dough instead of the spring roll sheets. You can also add a few finely chopped olives in place of the gherkins. If you're not familiar with making bourek, have a look at the NA*ME Fourms Bourek Demo: http://www.recipezaar.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=310912
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 20 -24 spring rolls, pastry sheets (approx 21cm x 21cm)
- 2 1/2-3 cups mashed potatoes
- 3/4-1 cup cheddar cheese, grated (mature or sharp)
- 1/2 medium brown onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium pickled gherkin, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon margarine or 1 tablespoon butter
- black pepper (freshly milled)
- flour, & water for the paste
- 1Mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl, check for seasoning - adjust if required. Allow the mixed filling to cool if the mash is hot.
- 2Fill & roll your bourek as follows:.
- 3Lay 1 spring roll sheet on your work surface & place 2 generous teaspoonfulls of the filling onto the sheet. You need to place it in a line approx 1" up from the bottom of the sheet & the line of filling should have a fraction over 1" of spring roll sheet visable on both the left & right side.
- 4Next bring the left side of the sheet over the filling - it will overlap the filling by about an inch. Do the same with the right side.
- 5Take the bottom of the sheet in both hands & pull it up so that it covers the line of filling.
- 6With a pastry brush or the back of a teaspoon, brush a small amount of the flour paste along the edges of the sheet.
- 7Now start to roll the bourek, be careful to keep it tight & even. When you have rolled it up securely, you can brush a tiny amount of the paste along the seam so that the bourek stays closed whilst it is being fried.
- 8Repeat these steps with the remaining spring roll sheets.
- 9Now you can either freeze the bourek or fry them in a little oil. Cook over a medium heat in batches, in a large frying pan / skiller & fry until a deep golden colour on all sides - turning as required!
Browse Our Top Potato Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Rezika's Cheese & Potato Bourek (Algerian Spring Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (853 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 68.5
- Calories from Fat 20
- Total Fat 2.2 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 5.6 mg
- Sodium 158.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 9.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 0.5 g
- Protein 2.3 g
The following items or measurements are not included: