- 1⁄2 lb chickpeas, soaked overnight and cooked until tender (or 1 lb can, drained)
- 1 large onion, chopped (approx 1 cup)
- 1 cup long-grain rice
- 3 cups water
- 1 pinch saffron
- 3⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup tomato puree
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice of
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook onion in olive oil until translucent.
- Add rice and stir to coat with oil.
- Cook rice in oil for 2 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat water and add saffron.
- Add water to rice along with the tomato puree and chickpeas.
- Season to taste.
- Cook, at a slow simmer, for 20-25 minutes, until the rice is cooked.
- Remove from heat and gently stir in lemon juice.