Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
My family loves this dish, but when you work full time you need to take shortcuts. My DH thought something was missing in the flavor so I added fresh chopped cilantro to give it a kick. Also I use olive oil to cook onions and green pepper to get rid of the trans fats in margarine. I also doubled the Ro*Tel giving casserole a richer consistency. Really great served with a cold salad.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cansro*tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, cook pepper and onion in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients, add onion and pepper mixture and mix together.
- Pour into a large baking dish or casserole and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbling and hot.