Recipe by donnacooks!
My family loves this dish, but when you work full time you need to take shortcuts. My DH thought something was missing in the flavor so I added fresh chopped cilantro to give it a kick. Also I use olive oil to cook onions and green pepper to get rid of the trans fats in margarine. I also doubled the Ro*Tel giving casserole a richer consistency. Really great served with a cold salad.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 (10 ounce) cansro*tel diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 -2 1⁄2 cups cubed cooked chicken
- 12 corn tortillas, cut into bite size pieces
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a large saucepan, cook pepper and onion in olive oil until tender, about 5 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl combine remaining ingredients, add onion and pepper mixture and mix together.
- Pour into a large baking dish or casserole and bake for 40 to 45 minutes or until bubbling and hot.