Recipe by YummySmellsca
I figured carrot cake's been done every which way, most often crowned with that glorious tangy cream cheese frosting. But what about turning it on it's head (literally) - a tangy cheesecake with a carrot juice glaze and sprinkle of raisins (or walnuts) and coconut?
- 1 1⁄2 cups gingersnap crumbs
- 1⁄4 cup butter, melted
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 5 ounces lowfat silken tofu
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 16 ounces low-fat cream cheese, softened
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2⁄3 cup carrot juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons honey
- 1⁄4 cup raisins or 1⁄4 cup chopped dates
- 2 tablespoons shredded unsweetened coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- In a small bowl, mix the gingersnap crumbs and butter until moist.
- Press about 2 tbsp of the crumb mixture into the bottoms of 12 foil-lined muffin cups.
- Bake 5 minutes, remove from the oven and set aside.
- In a food processor, puree sugar and silken tofu.
- Add lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla and cream cheese, process until smooth.
- Fill muffin cups 3/4 the way full.
- Bake 17-20 minutes, until the top is set.
- Cool in the muffin tin 25 minutes, then remove and set on a baking sheet.
- Meanwhile, combine sugar and 1/3 cup carrot juice in a pot and bring to a simmer.
- Whisk the tapioca starch in the remaining juice and add to the cooking mixture.
- Simmer, stirring constantly, until the glaze thickens.
- Stir in the honey, bring to bubbling then remove from heat.
- Cool 20 minutes before using.
- Divide raisins and coconut between the tops of each cooled cheesecake.
- Spoon the thickened glaze overtop, allow to set.
- Chill before serving.