Prep 25 mins
Cook 1 hr
This recipe, delicious in fall and winter, comes from a cookbook published in North Carolina in the 1870s. This decadent dessert is not for dieters!
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin (optional)
Soft Caramel Sauce
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- Set oven rack to center position and preheat oven to 350.
- Coat a 9-inch springform pan with baking spray. A regular 9-inch round cake pan will do.
- Cut a parchment paper liner to fit the bottom of the pan. Coat liner with baking spray, and dust entire pan with flour. Be sure to shake off extra flour.
- Sift together flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves.
- Cream butter and sugar in a medium bowl with an electric mixer. Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each. Add sifted dry ingredients alternately with buttermilk and stir after each addition.
- Pour mixture into pan and bake 55-60 minutes, or until a tester inserted into the cake comes out clean.
- While the cake is baking, prepare the soft caramel sauce. Combine sugar, water, and corn syrup in a heavy saucepan over high heat. Bring to a boil, stirring with a wooden spoon.
- Dip a brush in water and wash down insides of the pan. Reduce heat to medium high. DO NOT STIR. Continue boiling until mixture turns golden brown, NOT dark brown, about 6 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter, stirring slowly until melted. Add cream and stir again. Cream may make the sauce form up. If the sugar mixture doesn't want to mix with the cream, put the pan on medium heat and stir with wooden spoon until smooth, about 1 minute. Add salt. Pour into a glass bowl and set aside. (You can make the sauce ahead and store it in a glass container in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.).
- When cake is done, remove it from pan and place on a cooling rack. When cool, pour warm Soft Caramel Sauce over the cake and smooth top and sides. Sprinkle top with golden raisins if desired.