Recipe by Queen Dragon Mom
West Country festival buns made for Whitsun revels. Time does not include soaking saffron strands overnight.
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 3 tablespoons milk, warmed
- 8 ounces flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 ounces butter
- 2 ounces currants
- 1 ounce yeast
- 1 teaspoon caster sugar
- 2 ounces clotted cream
- 1 egg, beaten to glaze
Directions See How It's Made
- Stir saffron in to warm milk, cover and let stand overnight.
- Next day, sift flou, salt and cinnamon well, rub in butter.
- Add currants and make a well in the center.
- Reheat the saffron milk just until warm to touch.
- Cream yeast and sugar, proof until frothy.
- Add saffron milk, including strands of saffron, the cream and almost all the egg.
- Pour into the well and mix to a soft dough.
- Turn out on floured surface and knead 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return to bowl, cover with clean tea towel, leave until doubled.
- Punch down, divide into 8 and shape into buns.
- Grease baking sheet, place buns on sheet and let rise for another 20 minutes.
- Set oven to 375 or Mark 5.
- Brush buns lightly with remaining egg and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or ntil golden brown.
- Cool on wire rack.