Recipe by Scarlett516
A moist semolina cake.
Top Review by David W.
This recipes has several missing steps and errors. Firstly it says to add eggs to sugar butter mixture, I'm assuming egg yolks. when do you add the milk and the flour and in what sequence. I'm sure this will turn out to be good, just a little confusing is all
For the cake
- 1 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup fine semolina (or Farina)
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter (1 stick)
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs, separated (reserve whites)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, zest of
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pinch salt
For the syrup
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- orange zest
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- powdered sugar
- ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup almonds, blanched, lightly toasted, and chopped (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Grease the bottom and sides of a 9"x13" pan.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, semolina, and baking powder.
- Use a mixer to cream the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- With the mixer still running, add the eggs one by one. Continue mixing until a light yellow color.
- Add the vanilla extract and lemon zest.
- Clean the beaters and whip the egg whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form.
- Using a spatula, carefully fold the egg whites into the batter until just incorporated. The best way to do this carefully is to add the eggs in thirds.
- Pour the batter into the pan, using the spatula to smooth it out, and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Meanwhile, make the syrup by adding the water, sugar, and orange peel to a sauce pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the lemon juice and allow to cool.
- Once the cake has finished baking, pour the syrup over it while the cake is still warm.
- When the cake has cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar, cinnamon, and the almonds.