Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 40 mins
This soup will warm you from head to toe and make your tummy happy. I have made it several times and wonder why I don't make it more often. I have modified some of the amounts (barley, rice) Recipe from: The Big Book of Soups & Stews by Maryanna Vollstedt
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup green cabbage, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 large russet potato, about 3/4 #, peeled & chopped
- 1 zucchini, sliced lengthwise and cut in 1/4-inch slices
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried chervil, can substitute 1/2 tsp. fresh minced parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 2 (14 ounce) diced tomatoes with juice, I often add only one can
- 4 cups beef stock or 4 cups broth
- 2 tablespoons barley, uncooked (recipe calls for 1/4 C)
- 1 tablespoon long-grain white rice (recipe calls for 2T)
- 15 ounces great northern white beans, drained, rinsed, I add for an additional protein source but not necessary to add
Seasoned White Sauce
- 2 tablespoons butter or 2 tablespoons margarine
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- In a large Dutch oven over medium heat, cook diced bacon until crisp.
- Remove and drain bacon on a paper towel. Reserve 1Tablespoon of bacon grease in Dutch oven.
- Add onion,and garlic and saute' for about 1 minute. Stirring constantly.
- Add cabbage, celery, carrot, potato, zucchini and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add bacon back into pot.
- Add remaining ingredients (tomatoes, salt, pepper, chervil, broth, rice, barley, beans) **** EXCEPT white sauce and vinegar, which will be added later.
- Bring soup to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, covered, until vegetables are very tender, about 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
- Meanwhile, about 20 minutes before serving, make the seasoned white sauce.
- Seasoned White Sauce:.
- In a sauce pan over medium heat, melt butter. Add flour and stir until bubbly.
- Whisk in remaining ingredients and stir until thickened, 1 - 2 minutes.
- Sauce will become thick if it stands; DO NOT thin.
- After soup has cooked for 1 1/2 hours, whisk in white sauce and 1 T cider vinegar. Cook for 10 more minutes until flavors are blended.