Prep 5 mins
Cook 25 mins
I got this recipe from my niece after eating it at a family 4th of July picnic. I haven't made it myself yet because it makes a LOT and I haven't had an occasion to use the recipe yet. It really is tastey and I'll make it soon as I have the opportunity.
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 lb uncooked penne pasta
- 1 lb frozen beans and carrots, mixture (baby carrots, green and yellow beans)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1 (8 ounce) packagesliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon oregano leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, minced (optional)
- Cut chicken into 1-inch chunks. Salt and pepper lightly.
- In medium bowl, blend dressing ingredients.
- In Dutch oven, cook pasta according to package directions, adding frozen vegetables after 8 minutes. Return to a boil. Cook 3 to 4 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender. Rinse in cold water to cool; drain.
- Spray large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray. Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken. Cook and stir 7 to 9 minutes or until chicken is browned and internal juices run clear.
- In very large bowl, combine pasta, vegetables, chicken, mushrooms and tomatoes; mix well.
- Add dressing to salad; toss to coat. Cover and refrigerate thoroughly before serving.
My family really loved this pasta salad. I did make some changes: I had precooked Perdue Shortcuts so I didn't have to cook the chicken, I left out the broccoli and mushrooms as my family dislikes them and I used bottled light Italian dressing. That's the great thing about pasta salad, though, it's really adaptable. Thanks for sharing this. P.S. I just bought Hanover Gold Line Baby Carrots and Green and Yellow Beans for the first time a few days ago and couldn't believe there was a recipe that called specifically for them!