Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A countrified Farm Version Of A Reuben
- 1 lb bulk pork sausage
- 1 (14 ounce) can sauerkraut, WELL drained
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 2 rye bagels, toasted
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- Form sausage into 4 patties; Fry patties in skillet over medium heat until cooked& brown, about 5 minutes on each side; Drain on paper toweling.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Mix sauerkraut, caraway seeds, brown sugar& mustard in small saucepan; heat until hot; Spread bagels with dressing, spoon half the sauerkraut on bagels; top with sausage patties, remaining sauerkraut & cheese; Wrap each bagel in aluminum foil.
- Bake 20 minutes; Unwrap; serve hot.
This makes a wonerful sandwich that will make a repeat performance in this household!!! This is quick and easy too. Great flavor and I can't wait to make these again. Thanks for sharing, Iowahorse.
I'm in heaven! These reuben style bagels were tremendously enjoyed by us. This is the kind of sandwich that is scarce here in Japan. I mixed up a batch of Buddah's Breakfast Sausage recipe #67269 by LAU =^..^=DEE and made my own rye bagels. This was definitely worth opening my carefully hoarded jar of sauerkraut for, though next time, I'll drain the sauerkraut better, as the sandwiches got a little wet while baking. Oh, and I used one bagel each, not a half. Thank you very much for sharing this lovely recipe with us.