Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
I love Rubens and was looking for a dish to prepare "family style" instead of just serving sandwiches. After getting some ideas this is what I came up with and I must say I did good!
- 6 slices rye bread, toasted
- 1 lb swiss cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 cup onion, thinly sliced
- 1 (15 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 lb corned beef, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray 2 quart casserole dish with non-stick cooking spray.
- Toast the rye bread and lightly butter 1 side only. Arrange 3 slices (butter side UP) in bottom of casserole dish (cut to fit if you so desire).
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup of grated Swiss cheese over buttered toast.
- Arrange drained sauerkraut over the cheese and bread.
- Mix salad dressing with the mayonnaise in separate bowl and spoon 1/2 of the mixture over the sauerkraut.
- Chop the corned beef into bite size piece and spread evenly in the dish.
- Top with very thinly sliced onion and then 1/3 cup grated Swiss cheese and remaining corned beef.
- Finish the dish with remaining Swiss cheese and remaining dressing mixture.
- Bake 15-20 minutes or until bubbly. Place remaining 3 slices of toasted Rye bread (buttered side down) over top and continue baking for 5-10 minutes.
- Let sit for 5 minutes. Cut and serve hot.
Yes indeed you did good!. This was easy to put together ahead of time and cook when needed. Changes I made included using 12 slices of bread which ='d 1 sandwich per person. I found that 6 slices fitted into a 9x13 pan perfectly with 6 tops. I also added a sprinkling of caraway seed to the sandwich. Timing was right on and they tasted exactly like a rueben should. I served with Clausen pickles on the side. Thanks..goes into the keeper file