Recipe by Oolala
Debra Carr-Elsing, food writer, The Capitol Times, Madison, WI, submitted this in a favorites cookbook for food writers. These hamburgers have a surprise inside. Twist on the ole hamburger, modeled after the famous Reuben sandwich!
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 1⁄2 cup apple juice or 1⁄2 cup beef broth
- 1⁄3 cup ketchup
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 tablespoons prepared yellow mustard
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup swiss cheese, shredded, about 4 oz
- 6 hamburger buns, split
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a medium skillet.
- Add onion; saute until lightly browned.
- Stir in sauerkraut, apple juice or broth, and ketchup.
- Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes.
- Keep warm.
- In a medium mixing bowl, combine ground beef, mustard and salt.
- Shape into 12 thin patties and place and even amount of the cheese on top of 6 of the patties.
- Take the other 6 patties and place on top of the patties with the cheese and seal the edges to hold in the cheese filling.
- Place on gas grill over medium-high heat or on charcoal grill 5-6 inches from medium-hot coals. Cook 6-8 minutes per side, or until well done.
- Place buns, cut side down, around the edges of the grill to toast, about 3-4 minutes.
- Serve burgers on toasted buns and top with the warmed sauerkraut mixture.