Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is one of my favorite "comfort" foods. I serve it topped with homemade rye croutons. I got the original recipe from a co-worker, and played with it until I made it my own. Enjoy.
- 1 lb cooked corned beef brisket (trimmed & shredded)
- 1⁄2 cup sauerkraut (with juice)
- 1⁄4 lb butter
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 5 cups half-and-half
- 1 cup diced white onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated swiss cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon white pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon celery salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon onion powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine corned beef with sauerkraut.
- Set aside.
- Melt butter in large soup pot over low heat.
- Add flour and whisk 3-5 minutes to make roux.
- Stir in half& half.
- Add onion.
- Increase heat to medium and continue whisking (7-10 minutes) until thick.
- Add cheese, stir until melted.
- Fold in seasonings and sour cream.
- Add corned beef and sauerkraut, thin with milk if necessary.