Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
My kids go gaga over this soup! I highly recommend it and it is Feingold friendly.
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped celery
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 cups water
- 4 beef bouillon cubes
- 8 ounces shredded corned beef
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 3 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 cups shredded swiss cheese
- 8 slices rye bread, toasted and cut into triangles
- In a large saucepan, cook onion and celery in butter until tender; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually stir in water and bouillon, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Stir in corned beef, sauerkraut, cream, and 1 cup of the cheese. Cook and stir for 30 minutes or until slightly thickened.
- Preheat broiler.
- Ladle soup into 8 ovenproof bowls. Top each serving with a slice of bread and sprinkle 1/4 cup of the cheese on top of each slice of bread. Place in oven under broiler until the cheese melts and lightly browns.
made this soup for a church supper and it was a big hit! lots of complements and requests for the recipe! awesomely delicious! especially delicious with beer bread.