Recipe by COOKGIRl
From Ladies' Home Journal, 2006. A nice combination! For a vegetarian version, I used Yves' brand veggie turkey slices! Jewish rye bread is a good alternate choice for pumpernickel.
- 1⁄2 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons shallots, finely minced
- 2 tablespoons sweet pickle relish
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- 1 granny smith apple, cored and sliced thinly
- 1⁄2 lb smoked turkey, sliced
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 6 ounces gruyere cheese or 6 ounces jarlsberg cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small bowl whisk together the mayonnaise, ketchup, shallots, pickle relish and Dijon mustard. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Spread the mayo mixture on one side of each bread slice.
- Layer apple slices and turkey slices on half the bread, mayonnaise side up.
- Lastly, top with the sauerkraut, cheese, and the remaining slices of bread.
- Grill sandwiches in batches either with a panini machine or in a grill pan.
- Cook until bread is golden and cheese has melted.
- For mindless entertainment while you're enjoying your sandwich, look up the word pumpernickel in the dictionary.