Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
My husband and I love this recipe. It takes a little time to put it together, but boy is it worth it.
- 12 ounces thinly sliced canned or fully cooked corned beef (I use canned)
- 8 slices light rye bread or 8 slices dark rye bread
- 1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained, if you prefer, use fresh cooked sauerkraut
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing (use no other kind)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 2 -3 tablespoons butter or 2 -3 tablespoons margarine
- Arrange corned beef on 4 slices of bread.
- Top each with a quarter or the sauerkraut, 2 tablespoons of the dressing and a slice of the cheese.
- Top with remaining bread slices.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 2 to 3 tablespoons butter.
- Cook sandwiches until bread is lightly browned on one side.
- Turn sandwiches over, and brown on other side, adding more butter if necessary.
- Cook until cheese is melted and meat is heated through.
Loaded with corned beef and saurkraut is my kind of Reuben. I do use whole wheat bread instead of rye as a personal preference, and also did not have swiss so substituted mozzarella. I thought the amount of Thousand Island was perfect. Great yummy sandwich!
What a great sandwich! We loved these. I brought one to work and chowed down on it. Everyone around me was jealous as they ate their bologna and cheese :) Gotta love my girlfriend for looking up this one to make for us. Thanks for sharing! Mike
Yum! For some strange reason I was craving a reuben sandwich and so I decided to try this recipe. I used much less sauerkraft than called for but otherwise made it as directed. I used Thousand Island Dressing for the dressing and it worked very well. Thanks for posting this! :)