Recipe by TheDancingCook
This version is less expensive to make because you are using canned corned beef rather than fresh deli corned beef but it tastes just like a reuben. The reuben is DH's favorite deli style sandwich and he even asked for a second sandwich then made another a few hours later in the night. I recommend serving these with a side of Michelle S.'s #49062 Mom's German Potato Salad and a sour dill pickle spear. This recipe is courtesy of Southern Living's Easy Weeknight Favorites cookbook.
Top Review by Fauve
These are always great! One change I make, however, is leaving out bacon bits (don't like them)... This sandwich recipe makes a quick, hearty dinner-on-the fly. Even leftovers rewarmed in the microwave are good!
- 1 (12 ounce) canhormel corned beef
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained well
- 1⁄2 cup thousand island dressing or 1⁄2 cup Russian salad dressing
- 1 tablespoon bacon bits
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon imitation bacon bits
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 slices rye bread
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast 4 of the slices of the rye bread.
- While bread is toasting, combine corned beef, sauerkraut, dressing, pepper and bacon bits, mixing well.
- Spread the mixture on the 4 toasted pieces of rye and top each with a slice of swiss.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- While these are baking, toast the other 4 slices of bread.
- Remove slices from oven and top with remaining toasted slices.