Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This version is less expensive to make because you are using canned corned beef rather than fresh deli corned beef but it tastes just like a reuben. The reuben is DH's favorite deli style sandwich and he even asked for a second sandwich then made another a few hours later in the night. I recommend serving these with a side of Michelle S.'s #49062 Mom's German Potato Salad and a sour dill pickle spear. This recipe is courtesy of Southern Living's Easy Weeknight Favorites cookbook.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toast 4 of the slices of the rye bread.
- While bread is toasting, combine corned beef, sauerkraut, dressing, pepper and bacon bits, mixing well.
- Spread the mixture on the 4 toasted pieces of rye and top each with a slice of swiss.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- While these are baking, toast the other 4 slices of bread.
- Remove slices from oven and top with remaining toasted slices.
These are always great! One change I make, however, is leaving out bacon bits (don't like them)... This sandwich recipe makes a quick, hearty dinner-on-the fly. Even leftovers rewarmed in the microwave are good!
These turned out really well. I didn't have any bacon bits, so just skipped them. It was alot easier to do the sandwiches this way than, the usual way with all the ingredients separate, and baking them in the oven to melt the cheese was a snap! Thanx for posting this recipe, I know I'll be making these again!