Prep 30 mins
Cook 8 hrs
I created this salad as a healthy alternative to our favorite reuben sandwiches. If you omit the rye croutons, this is South Beach Phase 1 compatible.
- 3 -4 lbs corned beef brisket, with seasoning packet
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle beer
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups shredded cabbage (prepackaged bag)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar-free thousand island dressing (about 3/4 of a bottle)
- 6 cups salad greens (1 bag)
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices rye bread, day old
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- Rinse brisket in cool water and place in crock pot, cover with seasoning packet, beer, and water. Set to low and cover.
- In a large bowl, mix cabbage and thousand island dressing. I like to use the angel hair cabbage for this. Cover and refrigerate. Now get out the door and get to work, your running late already!
- When you get home later, after your after-work cocktail, set your oven to broil. Remove brisket from crock pot and set on cutting board to rest for about 10 minutes. Just long enough to get your rye croutons ready.
- Heat your iron skillet over moderate heat and coat the bottom with olive oil. If you don't have an iron skillet, then an decent sized non-stick skillet will work. Meanwhile, stack your slices of rye bread and cut into cubes.
- When the oil is hot, toss the rye cubes with the olive oil and toast until they are nice and crispy, but not burnt. If your rye bread is too soft, you can always dry them out in the oven at 350F for about 10 minutes before toasting them in the pan. When the croutons are toasted, remove from heat and set aside.
- Now that your brisket has had some time to rest, you'll want to take your sharpest chef's knife and slice the brisket as thin as you can across the grain. It may crumble and break apart, but that just means it's super tender and delicious.
- Divide the sliced meat into 4 portions on a baking sheet. Place a slice of swiss cheese on each portion. Place under the broiler for about 2 minutes, keeping a close eye on it so that it doesn't burn.
- Meanwhile, divide the salad amongst four plates. Divide the thousand island cabbage (coleslaw) amongst the four plates. When meat and cheese are done broiling, place one portion on top of each salad. Sprinkle with the rye croutons and ENJOY!