Prep 20 mins
Cook 0 mins
Tasty appetizer from Canadian Living mag.
- 1 (250 g) package pumpernickel rounds
- 1 cup sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- 6 ounces pastrami, thinly sliced
Horseradish cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup light cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons sour cream, light
- 1 tablespoon prepared hot creamed horseradish
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Horseradish cream cheese: In a bowl, mash cream cheese with sour cream until smooth.
- Mix in horseradish and pepper.
- (Make ahead- Cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.) Spread cheese mixture over pumpernickel rounds, top each with a teaspoonful of sauerkraut.
- Shape pastrami into rosettes and place on top of sauerkraut.
- Arrange on a tray.
- (Make ahead- Cover and refrigerate for up to 3 hours.).
These little beauties are like a mini Rueben (guess that's why they are called mini Rueben's ehe!). They look so attractive and taste every so good . Be sure to drain the Kraut well. The small party round pumpernickle bread is perfect. Thanks for a taste treat Dorothy
This recipe from Canadian Living is always a hit at parties - it's attractive and very tasty! I use the horseradish cream cheese on other crackers or melba toasts with smoked salmon and a bit of red onion, capers, or fresh dill for garnish, or spread it on cucumber rounds and top with pastrami or salmon. Versatile and perfect for mixing up in advance! Thanks for typing it in here, Derf!