Recipe by Debbie1951
This is my first time posting a recipe! I didn't make this up, but it's origins are lost in the mists of time. My family loves this. Add a salad and (if you're not doing the low-carb thing) some good bread. When I had a convection oven I cooked it at 325°F.
Top Review by MA HIKER
Delicious! My family loved this. I used ground turkey for the meat and used homemade carmelized onions instead of the french-fried to make it healthier. We served this with rye bread. Very good. Even my kids who would never eat sauerkraut loved it.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb ground pork (or use all ground beef)
- 1⁄3 cup rolled oats
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (16 ounce) jar sauerkraut, well drained
- 8 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 1 (3 ounce) can French-fried onions
- catsup or tomato-based chili sauce
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Combine meat, oats, Worcestershire sauce, egg, pepper and garlic powder.
- Turn mixture into a 9-inch pie plate and pat evenly into bottom and up sides (Yes, the meat is the pie crust!).
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and drain fat.
- Meanwhile combine sauerkraut, cheese, caraway seeds, and 1/4 of the onions.
- Turn into drained crust and return to oven for 15 minutes, until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with remaining onions and heat for another 5 minutes.
- Pass catsup or chili sauce to spoon over individual portions.