1 hr 20 mins
The meatballs can be prepared in advance and refrigerated, cooking time does not include browning the meatballs. I sometimes add in a one or two cans of drained of sliced mushrooms to the soup/salad dressing mixture, but that is optional :)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1 egg
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 -3 minced fresh garlic cloves (optional)
- 2 -3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 2/3 cup soft breadcrumbs
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (or to taste)
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups cooked white rice
- 2 1/2 cups sauerkraut, rinsed and well drained
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds (optional)
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 3/4 cup thousand island dressing (or to taste)
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded (or to taste)
- 1Set oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Grease a 13 x9-inch baking pan.
- 3In a bowl combine egg, fresh garlic, Parmesan cheese, onion, bread crumbs, seasoning salt and pepper; mix well to combine, then mix in cooked rice.
- 4Shape into about 18-20 meatballs, then place onto the 13 x 9-inch baking pan.
- 5Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, or until browned; drain fat.
- 6Arrange the sauerkraut over the meatballs, then sprinkle the caraway seeds over the saurkraut.
- 7In a bowl, combine the soup with the salad dressing (for an extra cheesy taste, I sometimes add in a few tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese to the soup mixture) then spread the soup mixture on top of the saurkraut in the baking dish.
- 8Cover with foil and bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until meatballs are no longer pink.
- 9Uncover, sprinkle with Swiss cheese.
- 10Bake for another 10 minutes longer.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Reuben Meatball Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (405 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 724.8
- Calories from Fat 434
- Total Fat 48.3 g
- Saturated Fat 18.2 g
- Cholesterol 180.7 mg
- Sodium 1231.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 28.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 8.1 g
- Protein 42.8 g
The following items or measurements are not included: