Recipe by Poker
This is excellent! It's a cheat meal for me! I buy my bread dough ready-made for less time. It's great for lunches, parties or even a quick supper. You can serve this with a salad or fries -- a really easy meal.
Top Review by Donna Matthews
This was fantastic for our special "date picnic". Since Ruebens are about my favorite sandwich, I made a few adjustments. First I substituted 1 cup of rye flour for 1 of the ap flour; then added a tablespoon of gluten, a rounded teaspoon of caraway seeds, upped the yeast to 1 tablespoon, and needed to add about 1/4 cup more water. I rolled the dough out fairly thin, then used about half again the amounts on all the stuffing ingredients. It made a beautiful, fat, hearty and delicious dinner. Served it with fresh veggies and dip, and small bottles of sparkling cider. Dessert was fresh strawberries and some chocolate fondue sauce (slightly thinned with milk so it would be dippable at room temperature.
- 3 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (1/4 ounce) envelope dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (120*F-130*F)
- 1 tablespoon butter or 1 tablespoon margarine, softend
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 1 (6 ounce) packagethinly sliced corned beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained
- 1 egg white, beaten
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Combine 2 1/4 cups of the flour with the sugar, salt and yeast in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Stir in the warm water, butter and enough of the remaining flour to make soft dough.
- Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for 4 minutes.
- Roll in to a 10x14 inch rectangle.
- Arrange the rectangle on a lightly greased 11x17 inch baking sheet.
- Spread the salad dressing down the middle. Layer the cheese, corned beef and sauerkraut over the salad dressing.
- Fold the sides to the center to enclose the filling and seal the edges.
- Brush with the egg white and cut slits in top.
- Bake 25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Cut into 6 slices and serve hot.