Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3 cups flour, divided
- 1 package fast rise yeast
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup water
- thousand island dressing
- 6 ounces corned beef
- 4 ounces sliced swiss cheese
- 1 can sauerkraut, rinsed and drained
- In a large bowl, combine 2 1/4 cup flour, yeast, sugar and salt.
- Stir in warm water.
- Mix until soft dough forms.
- Add remaining flour if necessary.
- Knead 3-4 minutes.
- Roll dough to a 10x14-inch rectangle.
- Spread a thin layer of dressing down the center one-third of dough.
- Top with layers of corned beef, cheese and sauerkraut.
- Repeat step 8.
- Bring up ends and sides of dough and pinch together or braid the top.
- Cut a few slits in the top for venting.
- Cover and let rise for 20 minutes in a warm place.
- May brush with egg white and sprinkle with caraway seeds.
- Bake 25 minutes at 400 degrees or until golden brown.
This made for a filling and different lunch for my wife and I. The bread came out slightly hard, but I think that was due to "operator error" more than anything else.