Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
I love corned beef and these are easier to make than a bunch of sandwiches. I don't know which magazine is cut up in my recipe box--I'm not that organized--darn.
- 2 beaten eggs
- 2 cups soft breadcrumbs
- 2 (12 ounce) cans corned beef
- 1 (8 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and finely snipped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3 slices swiss cheese, cut on diagonal (I just use more shredded cheese)
- 8 slices pumpernickel bread
- Combine egg bread crumbs corned beef mix together on foil or waxed paper.
- Pat meat mixture into 10 x10 inch square pan.
- Combine caraway and cheese and sauerkraut.
- Mound in center and wrap meat around sauerkraut mixture forming loaf seal seam and ends.
- Place loaf in greased 13x9x2-inch baking pan.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Top with cheese triangles.
- Bake 5 minutes more until cheese is melted.
- Serve with pumpernickel on side and if you don't want to mess up a bunch of pans and don't care if the loaf is not perfectly formed, use the same pan.
Awesome! My daughter, who was visiting for dinner, said "Mom this is outstanding." Easy to make, wonderful flavors. I left out the caraway seeds because we don't really care for the flavor. I cooked a corned beef brisket and chopped it up instead of using canned corned beef. When forming the meat mixture around the sauerkraut it wasn't really coming together (I probably left it too thick - but it was good that way) and so I wrapped it all up except for a small opening on top. I then topped that space with some thinly sliced corned beef. I then added a layer of dressing (I used my own "Recipe #215010" before placing the cheese triangles on top and then served more dressing on the side. This is absolutely a keeper we will make it again and again I am sure. Thank you Dienia for posting this recipe!