Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
A comfy, cozy casserole perfect on chilly evenings. Serve with a green salad. This is not a meal to be eaten when you are counting calories!
- 1 (16 ounce) bag sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb sliced deli corned beef (chipped or shaved)
- 1 cup thousand island dressing
- 1⁄2 lb sliced swiss cheese
- 1 loaf dark rye bread
- 1⁄4 cup melted butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray with cooking spray or butter a 13 x 9" baking dish.
- Spread sauerkraut evenly over bottom of prepared baking dish.
- Cover sauerkraut with corned beef.
- Spread Thousand Island dressing evenly over corned beef.
- Arrange slices of Swiss cheese to cover dressing.
- Cube the loaf of rye bread and toss with melted butter.
- Sprinkle over top of casserole.
- Bake, uncovered, 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
I gave this recipe 3 stars. My future hubby and I enjoyed this recipe. I think I did more then him even though he had 3 helpings of it. The only complaint my future hubby and I had was there was to much bread for our liking. My 6 yr old newphew did not like it. My copy of this recipe my future hubby got from a friend at work. My copy is slightly different. Saurkraut is 15oz drained, 12-16oz cornbeef, 12oz sliced swiss cheese, and 8 slices rye bread. The rest of the ingredients are the same. The directions are a bit different. My copy calls to layer the corned beef, dot w/dressing, layer the saurkraut, layer the cheese, then top with the cubed bread that has been mixed with butter. When I made this I used canned saurkraut that didn't reqire draining. I also used deli cornbeef. Overall this is really good and I'll make it again! Thanks for posting! Christine (internetnut)