Recipe by Karen B
This tastes just exactly like a Reuben Sandwich but much easier! You can even make ahead and reheat or put in refrigerator and bake just before serving! This is so good!!!! Also a great potluck dish.
Top Review by jbtitans
After reading the comments from other individuals, I made a few tweaks to the recipe. I used marbled rye bread, cut it into 1/4" cubes and then baked them on a sheet pan at 400 degrees for 10 minutes before using in the casserole. It added firmness to the base of the casserole. I also did not use sour cream (ruins the acidic sauerkraut flavor) and I used Mayo (not Miracle Whip) instead. I used Russian dressing instead of 1000 island. I used 3/4 cups of Russian dressing and 3/4 cups of Mayo and mixed those together. This turned out perfect. It had that true Reuben taste to it.
- 1 loaf rye bread (toast lightly & cut into cubes)
- 453.59 g can sauerkraut, drained
- 354.88 ml swiss cheese, shredded
- 236.59 ml mayonnaise
- 1 Russian salad dressing
- 473.18 ml corned beef, cut into small pieces
- 118.29 ml butter, melted (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Put half of the rye bread cubes into a greased 15 x 10 Pyrex.
- Top with the sauerkraut.
- Mix the mayo and Russian dressing together and spoon half on top the sauerkraut.
- Top with 1 cup of the Swiss cheese.
- Top with the corned beef.
- Top with the rest of the Mayo/dressing mix.
- Lastly, top with the remainder of the bread cubes and the remainder of the Swiss cheese.
- Drizzle the melted butter over all.
- Cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes.
- Uncover and bake an additional 10 minutes.
- Serve hot -- Enjoy!