Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
Reuben in a pan....Great way to use leftover corned beef from St. Paddy's Day. Enjoy. Times do not include chilling time.
- 1 (32 ounce) jar sauerkraut, drained
- 1 1⁄2 cups sour cream
- 1 small onion, chopped fine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3⁄4 lb thinly sliced corned beef, cooked
- 10 ounces shredded swiss cheese
- 9 slices rye bread
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- Combine saurkraut, sour cream, onion and garlic powder.
- Place in 8 inch greased square casserole.
- Arrange corned beef over top.
- Sprinkle with swiss cheese.
- Remove crust from bread and cut into triangles.
- Layer bread over cheese.
- Drizzle with melted butter.
- Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Let stand at room temperature for 1/2 hour.
- Bake uncovered 350 for 35 minutes.
This was quite good! I halved the recipe, and used 1 cup of sauerkraut, diced canned corned beef, and sliced a couple of day-old pumpernickel bagels into crouton-sized pieces, then froze the whole thing. It was very tasty, although it didn't taste much like the reuben sandwich. I liked the creamy filling very much and would very likely do this again. Over all, very good; even my husband, who hates sauerkraut was pleasantly surprised. Oh, and leftovers reheated very nicely, too. Thanks.
This is a hit everytime I serve it. I am consistently asked for the recipe. (I lower the fat content by using deli-style Turkey Pastrami, fat-free sourcream and lowfat or nonfat mozzarella cheese--it's still great!)
Delicious, tasty and different! Served this for brunch (12 people) and everyone agreed that half the sauerkraut would have been perfect, and corned beef slices needed to be cut into bite-size pieces, as it was very difficult to serve (corned beef slices pulled fron underneath bread). I used larger dish (9x13x2-inch) which fit the ingredients perfectly. I froze casserole, thawed overnight, and baked uncovered in the morning about 35-40 minutes. Worked great! I will make this again, as it was enjoyed by all! Ratings by 12 people ranged from 3 to 5 for overall taste, appearance, ease of serving, etc.