Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Marcia Adams is sponsored by the Fremont Kraut Company in Fremont Ohio. Television series produced by WBGU-TV Bowling Green Ohio for broadcasts on PBS. This casserole is the real Ma Coy!
- 1 cup sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 apple, peeled and chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon caraway seed
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 1 cup corned beef, cubed
- 1 cup swiss cheese
- 2 slices rye bread, toasted and cubed
- 1 1⁄8 cups red pimiento
- 1 green pepper, sliced and seeded
- Preheat oven to 400. Saute' the onion in 2 tablespoons butter until onion is limp. Add apple and saute' until soft.Add caraway seeds, kraut and corned beef and saute' 1 minute to blend flavors. Place mixture in medium casserole dish.
- Drizzle Thousand Island dressing on top, cover with swiss cheese and top with croutons. Pour 2 tablespoons melted butter over top, dot with pimento and green pepper. bake at 400 for 20 minutes.