Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you like Reuben Sandwiches, you'll love this!!
Make and share this Reuben Casserole recipe from Food.com.
- 6 slices rye bread, cubed
- 1 (16 ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 1 lb deli sliced corned beef, cut into strips
- 3⁄4 cup Russian salad dressing
- 2 cups shredded swiss cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Spread bread cubes in the bottom of a 9x13 inch baking dish.
- Spread sauerkraut evenly over the bread cubes, then layer beef strips over sauerkraut.
- Pour dressing over all.
- Spray aluminum foil with cooking spray and use to cover baking dish, sprayed side down.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20 minutes.
- Remove cover, sprinkle with cheese and bake uncovered for another 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bubbly.
I made this and found it unpalatable. It was soggy, gooey, and tasted bad. It wasn't at all akin to a Reuben Sanwich. It went down the disposal.
Good recipe but better after a few changes. Soggy with bread on bottom so I put bread on top. Also I used Thousand Island dressing instead of Russian dressing. I also add 1 TBS. caraway seeds on top of the sauerkraut layer. My wife loved it.
I have made this recipe, found it somewhere before, and its delicious!!! I made it just as described, using dark rye. It was a really nice spin on an old favorite. About the only change I plan to make when I make it again is to use my own homemade dressing, I didn't care much for the bottled one I used.