Prep 30 mins
Cook 35 mins
This will sound crazy...but the hospital I work for makes this is the cafeteria...and we love it!
- 4 cups sauerkraut, drained
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup parsley, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups swiss cheese, shredded
- 1 1⁄2 lbs corned beef, cooked and thinly sliced
- 1⁄4 cup thousand island dressing
- 4 cups rye bread, cubed (1/2 inch)
- 1⁄2 cup oleo, melted
- Combine sauerkraut, onions, parsley and caraway seeds in a bowl; mix well. Layer mixture in the bottom of a 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Next layer is the corned beef.
- Sprinkle 1 cup shredded cheese on top of mixture. On top of cheese spread 1/4 cup 1000 Island dressing.
- Toss together rye bread and butter and sprinkle over dressing. Top entire casserole with 1 cup shredded cheese.
- Bake 375 degrees for 35 minutes.
Wednesdays are always hectic, so simple dishes are always plus for dinner. Since I love Reuben sandwiches, I thought I would give this a try. I am so glad I did. It was so simple to put together and tasted wonderful! Since no one in my family likes thousand island dressing, I made the sauce I normally top our Reubens with (mayo combined with German mustard & a little horseradish). The only thing I will do differently next time is add the sauce on top of the corned beef as it caused the bread to get a bit soggy. I look forward to making this again soon.
This was really good and did taste just like a Reuban sandwich! I used Easy "isle of Que" Thousand Island Dressing for the Thousand Island and cooked off a corned beef brisket that I chopped up and sprinkled over that layer. The only thing that I might complain about is that the recipe didn't suggest covering the casserole and after 35 minutes on the middle rack in my oven, the Swiss cheese on top was pretty burned and crunchy (which personally, I thought it made it taste even better!). Just a thought to maybe cover it half the time, then uncover to brown it nicely.
We really enjoyed this! Quick and Easy to prepare, and so tasty. Great the next day for leftovers too!