Prep 45 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is great for a covered dish where you want to bring something really unique. A regular Reuben baked right into a loaf of bread.
- In a mixing bowl combine 2-1/4 cups flour, yeast, sugar, butter, and salt.
- Stir in warm water until a soft dough is reach, adding only enough of the remaining flour as necessary.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured surface, kneading until smooth.
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and roll out the dough into a 14 x 10 in rectangle.
- Spread the dressing on the center third of the dough.
- Layer beef, cheese, and sauerkraut.
- Slide the edges of the dough every 1 in on both sides of the filling.
- Alternating sides fold the strips across the filling at an angle.
- Cover and let rest in a warm place for 15 minutes while warming the over to 400°F.
- Brush the top with the egg whites, then bake for 25 minutes, until lightly browned.