Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This recipe is from Catelli Smart. They make high fibre white pasta (more than whole wheat) and it's awesome! No, I don't work for them, we just really like it! Enjoy!
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced (canned or fresh)
- 1 lb macaroni (Catelli Smart preferred!)
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes in tomato puree
- 2 3⁄4 cups tomato sauce or 2 3⁄4 cups strained tomatoes
- 2 cups low-fat milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups part-skim mozzarella cheese, small cubes
- Heat the oil in a large pot or Dutch oven set over medium heat. Add the beef; cook for 5 minutes or until browned.
- Stir in the oregano, basil, salt, onion and mushrooms (if using). Cook, stirring occasionally for 5 minutes or until onion and mushrooms are tender.
- Stir in the dry macaroni, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes or until the pasta is tender.
- Stir in the cheese until just melted. Serve immediately.
Sometimes I just need to give DH good old time comfort food and this was just the thing. I made a half recipe and he finished off half of that and there is a lunch size serving in the fridge for whoever gets to it first. I'm 3 days away from my monthly shopping so I used the canned mushrooms. I even used the whole wheat pasta here with not a complaint from DH (very cool). Loved the one pot clean up to. In short this is easy, yummy and will please the whole family. Served with a salad, canned peaches and ice cream for dessert.
I used extra virgin olive oil, no salt, fresh mushrooms, tomato sauce and did exactly as the directions. I like that it's only one pot. Great recipe. Thanks Nif :) Made for PRMR tag game