Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is great for teaching children about Easter.
- Read the whole recipe before beginning, try to do together Saturday night before Easter Sunday.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- You need: Mixing bowl, Wooden spoon, Bible, Zipper baggie, Waxed paper, Cookie sheet, Tape.
- Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
- Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers.
- Read John 19:1-3.
- Let child smell the vinegar.
- Put 1 tsp into mixing bowl.
- Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar to drink.
- Read John 19:28-30.
- Add egg whites to the vinegar.
- Eggs represent life.
- Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.
- Read John 10:10-11.
- Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand.
- Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
- Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.
- Read Luke 23:27.
- So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing.
- Add 1 cup sugar.
- Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us.
- He wants us to know and belong to Him.
- Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16.
- Beat with a mixer on high speed for 11-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.
- Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.
- Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3.
- Fold in broken nuts.
- Drop by tsp onto waxed paper-covered cookie sheet.
- Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid.
- Read Matt. 27:65-66.
- Put cookie sheet in the oven.
- Close the door and turn the oven OFF.
- Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
- Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed.
- Read Matt. 27:65-66.
- Go to Bed!
- Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight.
- Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.
- Read John 16:20 and 22.
- On Resurrection Morning open the oven and give everyone a cookie!
- Notice the cracked surface and take a bite.
- The cookies are hollow!
- On the first Resurrection Day, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
- Read Matt. 28:1-9.
- HE HAS RISEN!
A great way to help the kids celebrate Easter.
These are a great way to teach kids about Easter.The cookies are taste good too!
Thanks for posting this. I've seen the recipe but yet to try it. I'm glad it's already on Zaar so that I can have it for safekeeping. My daughter is still too young I think.