Prep 1 hr
Cook 0 mins
This is great for teaching children about Easter.
- Read the whole recipe before beginning, try to do together Saturday night before Easter Sunday.
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- You need: Mixing bowl, Wooden spoon, Bible, Zipper baggie, Waxed paper, Cookie sheet, Tape.
- Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces.
- Explain that after Jesus was arrested, He was beaten by the Roman soldiers.
- Read John 19:1-3.
- Let child smell the vinegar.
- Put 1 tsp into mixing bowl.
- Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross, He was given vinegar to drink.
- Read John 19:28-30.
- Add egg whites to the vinegar.
- Eggs represent life.
- Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life.
- Read John 10:10-11.
- Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand.
- Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl.
- Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin.
- Read Luke 23:27.
- So far, the ingredients are not very appetizing.
- Add 1 cup sugar.
- Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us.
- He wants us to know and belong to Him.
- Read Psalm 34:8 and John 3:16.
- Beat with a mixer on high speed for 11-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed.
- Explain that the color white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus.
- Read Isaiah 1:18 and John 3:1-3.
- Fold in broken nuts.
- Drop by tsp onto waxed paper-covered cookie sheet.
- Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid.
- Read Matt. 27:65-66.
- Put cookie sheet in the oven.
- Close the door and turn the oven OFF.
- Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door.
- Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed.
- Read Matt. 27:65-66.
- Go to Bed!
- Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight.
- Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed.
- Read John 16:20 and 22.
- On Resurrection Morning open the oven and give everyone a cookie!
- Notice the cracked surface and take a bite.
- The cookies are hollow!
- On the first Resurrection Day, Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty.
- Read Matt. 28:1-9.
- HE HAS RISEN!
A great way to help the kids celebrate Easter.
These are a great way to teach kids about Easter.The cookies are taste good too!