1/1 Photo of Resurrected Carrot Slow Cooker Soup
4 hrs 30 mins
Situation: I needed a recipe for a batch of old carrots, still from my CSA share. Problem: old carrots lose sweetness and become bitter. Solution: Pineapple juice rejuvenates the carrots in this soup. Convenience: I always have pineapple juice leftover from my Slow Smokey Pineapple Turkey recipe (http://www.food.com/recipe/slow-smokey-pineapple-turkey-497845).
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 -3 garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 lbs carrots or 10 medium carrots, scrubbed, peeled, and chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 3 -4 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon sea salt, to taste
- 1/2-3/4 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1Spray a large skillet with non-stick spray and place over medium heat.
- 2Add the onions, garlic, and a little broth and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes, stirring often to cook evenly.
- 3Spray the slow cooker, at least 5 quarts in size, with non-stick spray.
- 4Put the all of the ingredients into the slow cooker, including the onions, garlic, and broth from the skillet.
- 5Add enough broth to just cover everything.
- 6Cover and cook on HIGH for 4 hours.
- 7Blend the final product. (I use a hand blender.).
- 8Ladle the hot soup into bowls and enjoy.
- 9Note: If anyone has suggestions about how to improve the color of this soup (i.e., making it more orange, less brownish), PLEASE feel encouraged to suggested them.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Resurrected Carrot Slow Cooker Soup
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 128.2
- Calories from Fat 4
- Total Fat 0.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 306.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 14.7 g
- Protein 2.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: