Prep 30 mins
Cook 2 hrs 20 mins
I got this off the internet from lots of sources. Doctors say they don't know why this works, but it definitely helps restore your health quickly when you've been sick. I actually love it. I make it in large quantities and freeze it in smaller containers so I'll have it on hand in case.
- 1 (5 -6 lb) whole chickens
- 3 large onions, cut in chunks
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled, cut in chunks
- 3 parsnips, peeled, cut in chunks
- 2 turnips, peeled, cut in chunks
- 11 -12 large carrots, peeled, cut in chunks
- 5 -6 stalks celery, stems cut in chunks
- black pepper
- 2 tablespoons parsley
- Clean the chicken. Put in a large stockpot with enough water to cover. Bring to boil. Add onions, sweet potato, parsnips, turnips, and carrots. Reduce to simmer. Cook for 1 1/2 hours. Keep removing the "foam fat" from the surface as it accumulates.
- Add parsley and celery. Cook another 45 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pot and save for another recipe. (The chicken is not used further for the soup.) Keep the chicken broth in the pot.
- Put all the vegetables in a food processor. Process them until they can pass through a strainer, then return them to the chicken broth. Season with salt and pepper.