Recipe by Zanne101
Don't remember where or how I got this recipe - I keep trying others but always come back to this one. I've had this recipe for decades, but can't attibute it to anyone.
- 1 1⁄2 cups long grain rice
- hot water, to cover
- 1 large tomatoes (1/2 lb?)
- 1⁄4 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 serrano chilies
- 3 1⁄2 cups well salted chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt (if using low salt broth ( I use Swanson's 99%)
- 1⁄8 cup peanut oil or 1⁄8 cup safflower oil
- 1⁄3 large carrot, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons peas
Directions See How It's Made
- Pour enough hot water (to cover) over rice and let stand for 20 minutes Drain, rinse well in cold water. Shake colander well & allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- Puree in a blender: tomato, onion, garlic & chiles. Set aside.
- Heat oil till it smokes. Fry rice until it becomes a light golden color (10 mins?), stirring constantly over high.
- Drain any excess oil. Add puree to rice and cook till dry, stirring constantly over high.
- Add the broth (and carrots if using) and salt. Stir well.
- Cook uncovered over med heat till liquid ia absorbed and air holes appear.
- Remove from heat, (add peas if using) cover & set aside for 20-30 minutes.