Don't remember where or how I got this recipe - I keep trying others but always come back to this one. I've had this recipe for decades, but can't attibute it to anyone.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups long grain rice
- hot water, to cover
- 1 large tomato (1/2 lb?)
- 1/4 medium onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 3 serrano chilies
- 3 1/2 cups well salted chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt (if using low salt broth ( I use Swanson's 99%)
- 1/8 cup peanut oil or 1/8 cup safflower oil
- 1/3 large carrot, sliced thin
- 2 tablespoons peas
- 1Pour enough hot water (to cover) over rice and let stand for 20 minutes Drain, rinse well in cold water. Shake colander well & allow to drain for 10 minutes.
- 2Puree in a blender: tomato, onion, garlic & chiles. Set aside.
- 3Heat oil till it smokes. Fry rice until it becomes a light golden color (10 mins?), stirring constantly over high.
- 4Drain any excess oil. Add puree to rice and cook till dry, stirring constantly over high.
- 5Add the broth (and carrots if using) and salt. Stir well.
- 6Cook uncovered over med heat till liquid ia absorbed and air holes appear.
- 7Remove from heat, (add peas if using) cover & set aside for 20-30 minutes.
Browse Our Top Mexican Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
Serving Size: 1 (240 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 367.2
- Calories from Fat 77
- Total Fat 8.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1245.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 60.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.1 g
- Sugars 2.9 g
- Protein 10.1 g