Recipe by Kittencal@recipezazz
Plan ahead there is a 1-1/2 hour refrigeration time for the fillets, you may omit the cayenne completely or increase to suit heat level --- for best flavor I use peanut oil for frying but vegetable oil will do fine I have even fried the fish in olive oil :)
- 6 -8 catfish fillets
- 1 teaspoon white salt
- 2 1⁄2 cups milk (to cover the fish fillets)
- 2 cups yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper (or to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- peanut oil (for frying) or vegetable oil (for frying)
- lemon wedge
- tartar sauce (Kittencal's Easy Tartar Sauce)
Directions See How It's Made
- Place the catfish fillets in a single layer in a shallow dish (you may slice the fillets in half lengthwise if desired or leave whole).
- Cover the fillets completely with milk.
- Cover and chill for about 1-1/2 hours.
- In a shallow bowl combine the cornmeal with seasoned salt, black pepper, cayenne, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Remove the catfish from refrigerator and allow to stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Remove all the milk from the pan and allowing all the milk to drip off the fillets.
- Sprinkle the fillets very lightly with salt (using about 1 teaspoon for all of the fillets).
- Coat lightly with cornmeal mixture.
- Pour the oil to a depth of about 1-1/2 inches in a cast-iron or heavy skillet.
- Heat oil to 350°F.
- Fry the fish in batches about 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden.
- Drain on wire racks over paper towels.
- Serve with tartar sauce and lemon wedges.