Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 mins
I found this recipe online, and didn't want to lose it!! I haven't tried it yet, but I will soon!
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 1⁄2 lbs about 4 russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Prepare the potatoes and oil: In a 3-quart saucepan with a deep-fry thermometer attached, heat oil to 350 degrees F. Cut potatoes into long sticks -- about 2 inches by 1/2 inch. Lay potatoes in a single layer on paper towel. Let stand for 10 minutes until dry.
- Cook potatoes: Toss potatoes with sugar. Fry half of the potatoes in the hot oil until they begin to crisp and turn light blond -- about 2 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove; drain on paper towel. Repeat for the second batch and let potatoes stand for 5 minutes.
- Finish the potatoes: Raise oil temperature to 375 degrees F. Refry potatoes, in 3 batches, until golden brown -- 4 to 6 minutes. Use a slotted spoon to remove, drain on a paper towel, and sprinkle with salt.
I would suggest to inexperienced cooks that they heat the oil once they have the potatoes prepared and standing. Oil could get dangerously hot if you follow the recipe as it is written at present. I tried to mail the poster but they are not accepting z-mails.