I like to serve over steamed brown rice.
Make and share this Restaurant Style Chinese Orange Chicken With Spring Peas recipe from Food.com.
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed or Simply Orange brand)
- 3⁄8 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest (I use the zest from 1 large orange. Do not use dried zest.)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 egg whites (you can use 1 whole egg but the batter won't be as light)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 3⁄8 cup flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 -4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon freshly minced ginger
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes (or more if you like it hot)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- Orange Sauce:.
- In small bowl, combine orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch and orange zest. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and water. Stir in chicken pieces.
- In a pie plate, stir together cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper with a fork or clean whisk.
- Taking a few pieces of chicken at a time, dip chicken into the flour mixture.
- In a large skillet, add vegetable oil to cover pan to a 1/2-inch depth. Heat skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Brown chicken, a few pieces at a time. Remove chicken and allow to drain on paper-towel lined plate or rack. Continue until all chicken is browned. (Note: You may need to adjust heat up or down to maintain oil temperature as you cook.) Set aside.
- In a separate skillet or wok, heat 1-2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant (just a few seconds). Stir in green onions, red pepper flakes, and peas.
- Add orange sauce and stir until thickened.
- Stir in chicken and simmer until evenly coated and heated through.
- Serve over steamed rice.