1/2 Photos of Restaurant Style Chinese Orange Chicken With Spring Peas
I like to serve over steamed brown rice.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup orange juice (fresh squeezed or Simply Orange brand)
- 3/8 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest (I use the zest from 1 large orange. Do not use dried zest.)
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into bite-sized pieces)
- 2 egg whites (you can use 1 whole egg but the batter won't be as light)
- 1 tablespoon water
- 3/4 cup cornstarch
- 3/8 cup flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- vegetable oil
- 1Orange Sauce:.
- 2In small bowl, combine orange juice, brown sugar, soy sauce, rice wine, cornstarch and orange zest. Set aside.
- 4In a small bowl, whisk together the egg whites and water. Stir in chicken pieces.
- 5In a pie plate, stir together cornstarch, flour, salt and pepper with a fork or clean whisk.
- 6Taking a few pieces of chicken at a time, dip chicken into the flour mixture.
- 7In a large skillet, add vegetable oil to cover pan to a 1/2-inch depth. Heat skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Brown chicken, a few pieces at a time. Remove chicken and allow to drain on paper-towel lined plate or rack. Continue until all chicken is browned. (Note: You may need to adjust heat up or down to maintain oil temperature as you cook.) Set aside.
- 9In a separate skillet or wok, heat 1-2 tablespoons oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger and stir until fragrant (just a few seconds). Stir in green onions, red pepper flakes, and peas.
- 10Add orange sauce and stir until thickened.
- 11Stir in chicken and simmer until evenly coated and heated through.
- 12Serve over steamed rice.
Browse Our Top Chicken Breast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chicken Breast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Restaurant Style Chinese Orange Chicken With Spring Peas
Serving Size: 1 (284 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 389.3
- Calories from Fat 58
- Total Fat 6.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.2 g
- Cholesterol 96.8 mg
- Sodium 693.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 44.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 36.1 g