LEFT OVER BAKED POTATOES STOP HERE! Who dosen't like potato soup?! This one is infused with an amazing basil flavor. It is very authentic, but the basil gives it a little something wonderful..a new dimension if you will. I bet having leftover baked potatoes from a grill would really bring a new smoky flavor to this soup if you've got em'.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced onions
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base, mixed with 8 c. water
- 1 1⁄4 cups instant instant potato flakes
- 4 cups half-and-half (Sometimes I use heavy cream)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (this usually gets tripled once we got an herb garden bc its so amazingly aromatic when it's fresh...)
- 1 -4 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups cooked diced potatoes (no joke i made them in the microwave last week)
- grated cheddar cheese (grate your own)
- 4 slices bacon, fried, drained, and crumbled
- green onion tops or fresh chives
- In large stock pot saute onions in butter 10- 15 minute Do not brown.
- Add flour to onions and butter, cook 4-5 minute Do not brown.
- Mix chicken stock with potato buds. Use a whisk to blend until smooth.
- Add stock mixture to roux. mixing slowly with whisk. Cook 15- 20 minute.
- Whisk in half and half and cook for 10 more minutes. Do not boil.
- Add spices and taste and toggle taste :).
- Add potatoes, and pour into bowls.
- Garnish with cheddar, chives, bacon.
- ** Cooking the bacon, grating cheese, chopping green onion while the soup is cooking all cut down on prep time.
In comparison to other potato soups I make, this was less rich and one of my favorites. I used 8 left over baked potatoes, which is definitely more than 2 cups and wouldn't have it any other way. I also used fat-free half and half, and chicken broth instead of the chicken base and water. I will definitely make this again.
This is worthy of 10 stars! I had become gun shy of trying baked potato soup recipes. I love the stuff at restaurants, and I can definately make other types of cream soups, but every time I tried to make my favorite, Baked Potato, it turned out too rich, or tasting like paste. Finally the curse is broken and I am in love with this soup, my whole family is. Thanks for sharing!