Prep 15 mins
Cook 45 mins
LEFT OVER BAKED POTATOES STOP HERE! Who dosen't like potato soup?! This one is infused with an amazing basil flavor. It is very authentic, but the basil gives it a little something wonderful..a new dimension if you will. I bet having leftover baked potatoes from a grill would really bring a new smoky flavor to this soup if you've got em'.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 4 cups diced onions
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1⁄4 cup chicken base, mixed with 8 c. water
- 1 1⁄4 cups instant instant potato flakes
- 4 cups half-and-half (Sometimes I use heavy cream)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1 teaspoon basil (this usually gets tripled once we got an herb garden bc its so amazingly aromatic when it's fresh...)
- 1 -4 dash Tabasco sauce
- 2 cups cooked diced potatoes (no joke i made them in the microwave last week)
- grated cheddar cheese (grate your own)
- 4 slices bacon, fried, drained, and crumbled
- green onion tops or fresh chives
- In large stock pot saute onions in butter 10- 15 minute Do not brown.
- Add flour to onions and butter, cook 4-5 minute Do not brown.
- Mix chicken stock with potato buds. Use a whisk to blend until smooth.
- Add stock mixture to roux. mixing slowly with whisk. Cook 15- 20 minute.
- Whisk in half and half and cook for 10 more minutes. Do not boil.
- Add spices and taste and toggle taste :).
- Add potatoes, and pour into bowls.
- Garnish with cheddar, chives, bacon.
- ** Cooking the bacon, grating cheese, chopping green onion while the soup is cooking all cut down on prep time.
In comparison to other potato soups I make, this was less rich and one of my favorites. I used 8 left over baked potatoes, which is definitely more than 2 cups and wouldn't have it any other way. I also used fat-free half and half, and chicken broth instead of the chicken base and water. I will definitely make this again.
This is worthy of 10 stars! I had become gun shy of trying baked potato soup recipes. I love the stuff at restaurants, and I can definately make other types of cream soups, but every time I tried to make my favorite, Baked Potato, it turned out too rich, or tasting like paste. Finally the curse is broken and I am in love with this soup, my whole family is. Thanks for sharing!