Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
My son hates veggies but this he likes. This is an adaptation of a recipe from curryfrenzy.com which comes as close to my local indian restaurant sag aloo that I can achieve.
- 4 medium potatoes, quartered
- 3 tablespoons curry massalla gravy
- 2 tablespoons thick yogurt
- 1⁄2 onion, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons curry powder (hot or medium)
- 1 teaspoon hot chili powder
- 2 hot green chili peppers, finely chopped with seeds
- 4 crushed garlic cloves
- 2 teaspoons gingerroot, grated
- 5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 10 tablespoons roughly chopped coriander leaves
- 1 tablespoon whole coriander leaves
- 300 g spinach leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 ounce butter
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 tablespoon water
- Par-Boil the potatoes with a 0.5 tsp salt and turmeric for around 10-15 minutes being very careful to just undercook by around 5 minutes.
- Make a paste of the curry powder, garam massalla and chilli powder with a little water.
- Fry the onion until translucent in the veg oil then add the garlic, ginger and chilli and stir fry on medium for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the curry and chilli powder paste and stir fry for a further 30 secs.
- Add the potatoes, the Massalla Gravy, yogurt and spinach and simmer for 5 minutes or until the spinach is reduced, stirring occasionally.
- Add knob of butter and sugar - salt to taste.
- Now add the finely chopped coriander leaves and cook for a further minute.
- Serve with the whole coriander leaves sprinkled over the top.
Lovely side dish - I left out the green chillis as I was serving this with a number of other hot dishes. This initially seemed quite "light" in flavour but it had a complexity which built as you ate more. I used recipe 167481 to make the curry massalla gravy; thanks for posting your excellent recipe!
I wasn't too sure what curry masala gravy was so I used vindaloo paste that I had left over from a previous curry I had made. Otherwise made as written. Really good and easy to make. It looks complicated but it is not that hard.