Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
This simple recipe is from a local French restaurant near my hometown.
- 1 lb tomatoes
- 1 lb eggplant
- 1 lb zucchini
- 4 garlic cloves, sliced thick
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, minced
- salt and fresh pepper
- olive oil (optional)
- Wash the vegetables. Core the tomatoes and chop into quarters. Cut eggplant and zucchini into thick slices.
- In a large dutch oven, layer starting with eggplant, next the tomatoes then the zucchini. Between each layer add a few slices of garlic and sprinkle some of the parsley and basil. Season with salt and pepper. (if you are using a non stick pan, brush olive oil on the bottom so the first layer of eggplant does not stick).
- Cover and cook over very low heat until the vegetables are tender, about 1 1/2 hours to 2 hours. Do not stir or lift lid. When done, allow stew to sit for 20 min before taking lid off. Stir and serve.