Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
This is one of my favorite dishes! I love being able to indulge in the best of carbs - basmati rice and reshteh noodles. You can find reshteh noodles at most Middle Eastern markets. It is a thin, flat pasta that kind of resembles capellini or fettuccine.
- 354.88 ml basmati rice
- 59.14 ml orange peel, slivered
- 5 dates
- 59.14 ml raisins
- 1 onion, diced finely
- 113.39 g noodles, reshteh
- 4.92 ml cinnamon
- 4.92 ml saffron
- 0.59 ml turmeric
- 59.14 ml water
- 4.92 ml spices, advieh (can be found at Middle Eastern Markets, but you can use vegetable or chicken bouillon)
- 59.14 ml pistachios and almonds, slivered and toasted
- 14.78 ml butter
- 29.58 ml canola oil
- In a large pot, saute onion until nice and golden.
- Remove pits from dates and dice them.
- In another pot, saute the reshteh noodles in butter until golden. Keep an eye on them, as they burn easily.
- Prepare your basmati rice according to my "Persian Rice" recipe. When you add the rice to the water, add the reshteh noodles too.
- Once the onion is nice and golden, add one tablespoon butter. Add turmeric and cinnamon. Give the pan a nice stir.
- Add dates and raisins. Give the pan a stir.
- Add orange peel. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Note: if the ingredients seem kind of dry, add a tablespoon of butter.
- After draining your rice and reshteh noodles, place 2 tablespoons canola oil in the bottom of the rice/reshteh pot and add enough water to cover the bottom.
- Add one layer of rice/reshteh noodles to the pot.
- Sprinkle 1/4 teaspoon of advieh spice (or bouillon).
- Place half of the date-raisin-orange-peel-onion mixture on top.
- Repeat with another layer of rice/reshteh noodles and the remainder of the date-onion mixture.
- End the layering with the rice-reshteh noodles.
- With the end of the spatula, make 5 holes to circumference the rice.
- Cook covered on high for 10 minutes.
- Ground the saffron and dissolve in 1/4 cup of hot water. Add 1 tablespoon butter t the saffron and mix well. Pour the saffron mixture over the rice.
- Cover the top of the pot with a towel and cover with the lid. Steam rice on low for one hour.
- Once the rice is done, place the rice in a dish and sprinkle the almonds and pistachios on top.
- At the bottom of your pot you will find a crunchy rice delicacy Persians love, called tadigh. Break it into pieces with a spatula or spoon and serve in a separate dish.